Employees of the College of Arts and Sciences will interact with the Office of Information Technology (OIT), as well as eTech, the Office of Educational Technology; they might also choose to interact with the Digital Humanities Center. The different services provided by these organizations are described below.
This organization is the main source of IT service and technology support for The University of Alabama. OIT’s activities and services include the following:
- Installs and maintains faculty and staff office computers and departmental computer labs.
- Operates the IT Service Desk (ITSD) to address any technology issues for faculty and staff, call them at 348-5555 or submit a Service Desk Request Form.
- Controls university systems and security.
- Administers the University share drive servers.
- Manages email and calendar access.
- Maintains the University wired and wireless Internet network.
- Obtains licenses and offers tech support for most of the software available to faculty and staff.
- Provides support and training for enterprise instructional technologies through the Center for Instructional Technology (CIT), a unit of OIT. These technologies include Blackboard Learn, Turning Technologies Student Response System (clickers), Turnitin and Respondus Lockdown Browser. For help with instructional technologies, contact the CIT at 348-3532 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Maintains and supports all multimedia room equipment, including imaging and support of A&S computer classrooms, through Audio/Visual Solutions (AVS). This unit of OIT answers the help phones located next to the multimedia podiums (dial 2 or call direct at 348-6011).
- Oversees the University’s technology accessibility planning and implementation through Emerging Technology and Accessibility (ETA). Questions about accessibility? Contact ETA, also a unit of OIT, at 348-0216 or email@example.com.
eTech serves faculty, instructors, and staff of the College of Arts and Sciences and provides the following services:
Computers and Other Technology
- Provides new faculty office computers
- Replaces A&S-owned office computers
- Conducts annual department audit of A&S-owned technology
- Picks up old technology for delivery to surplus
- Distributes and supports iPads
- Collects A&S-owned technology from exiting A&S faculty and staff
Space and Access
- Assists with building and classroom swipe card access
- Assists with room reservations for special after-hours events that are in locations outside of departments
A&S Computer Labs
The College of Arts and Sciences administers the technology in a number of rooms and buildings traditionally associated with the College across campus. Within those buildings, we provide the following services:
Instructional Technology, Active Learning, and Online Courses
- Administers online course development within the College of Arts and Sciences
- Creates and supports college and department websites
- Creates and supports websites for some associated organizations
- Creates and supports blogs for classroom use
- Provides photography services for individuals, lectures, and events
- Designs and schedules digital signage in A&S buildings
The Alabama Digital Humanities Center in Gorgas Library offers faculty, staff, and advanced students resources to explore digital humanities. Visit the Alabama Digital Humanities Center website to find out more about their services.